Spinach Dal Tadka
1. Place pan on medium heat and add ghee/oil to it.
2. Add cumin seeds, red chillies wait until they crackle & then add 1 cup of chopped spinach, and stir-fry until it wilts, about 1 to 2 minutes
(Other greens: You can also swap spinach with other greens like fenugreek, kale, collard greens, moringa leaves, turnip greens, beetroot greens, etc.)
3. Add green chillies and/or onions & sauté for 2 minutes.
4. Now add our DAL TADKA and simmer for a minute.
5. Now add Salt as per personal taste/preference then mix well and cook for 1 more minute.
6. Garnish with chopped cilantro and enjoy.
You can add interesting variations to this spinach dal recipe.
Dry version (sabzi): If you want to eat spinach dal as a sabzi (a semi-dry veggie preparation), needed to adjust the consistency to thicker. Drizzle lemon juice, mix, and serve it as is.
South Indian version: You can follow the same recipe and add a tempering made of 1 tablespoon ghee, 1/2 teaspoon each of mustard seeds, urad dal, 1/8 teaspoon asafoetida, 3 to 4 garlic cloves, 1-2 dry red chilies, and a sprig of curry leaves.
This recipe is a bit spicy because of the use of spicy green chilies and red chili powder. Adjust the spice levels by using mild, light green chilies. You may also reduce or skip the red chili powder.
Additional spices: you can add some garam masala if you like. You may also add other spices like coriander powder, cumin powder, kasuri methi, etc.